Bingham University Teaching hospital is a 250 Bed Facility located in Jos, North Central Nigeria.
It was established as ECWA Evangel Hospital in 1959 and was the vision of
SIM (then Sudan Interior Mission) missionary named Dr. Lonnie Grant to provide Health care to the
Missionaries in Nigeria and also meet Health care needs of the indigenous populace
The Out-Patient clinic building was the first to be built, in 1959, the first at the current premises. Subsequently, the construction of the male/female wards, and operating theatre followed. The paediatric ward was added in 1978. The current maternity ward was opened in 1987 while the amenity ward was opened in 1992. The latest Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU) was built in 2018.
The hospital was initially staffed by and with missionaries. In 1975, the Plateau State government took over mission schools and hospitals in State. Consequently, most of the missionary staff were replaced with Nigerians. In 1978, the hospital was handed over to ECWA.
In 2010, ECWA, the Proprietor, converted the hospital to the Teaching Hospital of Bingham University College of Health Sciences. A Governing Board of the new Teaching Hospital was inaugurated in 2011 and is responsible for the oversight, and in accordance with the hospital law, of the Teaching Hospital.
In hospital has a world class reputation in the provision of clinical services. In 1969, the hospital was the first centre in West Africa to identify the hemorrhagic Lassa Fever Virus. Two missionary nurses died of the virus, and a third nurse, Penny Pinneo, fell ill and was flown to the USA. There the virus was isolated and named. In 1970, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr. Jeanette Troup, unfortunately contracted the virus from a patient during an autopsy and died. The has remained one of the formidable centres for the management of Lassa Fever in the country.
Dr. Phil Andrew, an SIM Australian missionary, started the General Medical Practice training programme in 1982. Till date the hospital continues to produce specialists in the field of Family Medicine some of whom have risen to occupy academic (Professorial) chairs in other tertiary education institutions.
The Evangel Vesico vagina Fistula centre started providing services in 1981 and continued to provide clinical services to hundreds of thousands of women from within and outside the country. The surgical intervention commenced by Dr. Arrow Smith has seen several doctors trained in acquisition of surgical skills. The Evangel VVF Centre celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2017.
The hospital also provides clinical and care services for HIV/AIDS cases through sponsorship and support from partners such as PEPFAR, and recently APIN
In December 2017 the Centre of Child and Adolescent Health and Development was set up to provide serices thus: 1.Children with growth and neuro developmental disorders 2. Children with Special Health Care Needs 3.Adolescent health issues and 4. Advocacy and Advocacy capacity development